Hamas will never recognize Israel and will not accept the conditions laid out by the Middle East peacemaking Quartet, according to the Islamist movement’s deputy leader.

Speaking late on Saturday, Mussa Abu Marzuq said Hamas, which recently signed a reconciliation deal with the Western-backed Palestinian leadership in Judea and Samaria, would never agree to recognize Israel.

“We will not recognize the Zionist entity,” he said at a press conference in Gaza City.

Under terms of the deal, Gaza’s Hamas rulers and the Palestine Liberation Organisation of Mahmud Abbas are to work together to form a new unity government which will prepare for national elections.

But Israel reacted furiously, saying it would not negotiate with any government backed by Hamas, whose charter calls for the destruction of the Jewish state, and accusing Abbas of effectively putting the final nail in the coffin of the latest round of US-brokered peace talks.

Recognizing Israel is one of the key conditions laid out in the 2003 peacemaking roadmap of the Middle East Quartet, which brings together the United Nations, the European Union, the United States and Russia.

The other two key demands are a renunciation of violence and acceptance of all prior agreements with Israel.

Abbas, who is to head the new government, to consist of political independents, has insisted it will abide by all three principles.

But Abu Marzuq said Hamas would never accept the Quartet’s conditions.

“Hamas rejects the Quartet’s conditions because it denies some of our people’s rights,” he told reporters. “We will always refuse any conditionsthat deny our Palestinian rights.”

He also said the question of disarming Hamas’s armed wing, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, was “never mentioned” in talks with the PLO since the unity deal was inked on April 23.

“No one asked to discuss this,” he said.

Azzam al-Ahmad, a senior member of Abbas’s Fatah movement, which dominates the PLO, was to arrive in Gaza City on Sunday or Monday to begin consultations on forming the new government, he said.

“This will be a national consensus government that has nothing to do with politics and has specific tasks,” he said of the preparations for long-overdue local, parliamentary and presidential elections.

Hamas would participate in both the municipal and legislative elections but has not yet decided whether it will run a presidential candidate.

Hamas won a landslide victory in the last parliamentary election, held in 2006, prompting a Western boycott of the Palestinian Authority.

By Israel National News

 

 

The New York Police Department has arrested a 26-year-old man in connection with the kidnapping and killing of a Brooklyn developer, recipe whose body was found smoldering in a trash container at a gas station in Nassau County on Jan. 3.

The suspect, Kendel Felix, of 921 Montgomery Street in Brooklyn, has been charged with second-degree murder, the police said Wednesday night.

Earlier in the day, the police were questioning the suspect. “We’re very pleased with the direction the investigation is now going,” the New York police commissioner, William J. Bratton, told reporters earlier on Wednesday. “Over the last 24 hours, the pace of that investigation has accelerated significantly, and our anticipation is over the next 24 hours that it will continue to accelerate and hopefully draw to a conclusion.”

Mourners at the funeral of the developer, Menachem Stark, described him as a pillar of the Hasidic community. But his finances were in disarray, even as he opened buildings across northern Brooklyn. Court records indicate that he and a business partner had defaulted on major loans.

Mr. Stark, 39, had been abducted as he was leaving his office at 331 Rutledge Street in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, shortly before midnight. Two kidnappers forced him into a minivan after a struggle that lasted for several minutes, the police said. Mr. Stark’s remains were found at a gas station in Great Neck the next day. An autopsy found that he had died from asphyxiation, indicating that he had probably been suffocated.

By The New York Post

Dear loyal readers,

In order to serve you better, The Montreal Jewish News changed webservers.The new hosting gives us more bandwith, more space to provide pictures and videos and allowed us to completely redesign the site to make it easier to read.

The transition was supposed to take two hours and be seamless, essentially, the original site was supposed to disappear and the new site was to appear. You, the reader should have just noticed a change in layout.

Instead, we were faced with a nightmare. Lost posts, configuration problems and for two full days the site was down.

We’ve got it up and running, some of the pictures that were associated with some of the older news stories are gone, some posts may have the wrong names on them and there may or may not be some blog posts missing. Rest assured I am working hard at fixing these problems, they will be corrected as soon as possible.

If you notice anything out of the ordinary with the new site, please email me howie@truetalkradio.com

I hope you like the new look, comments are always welcome and we look forward to serving you with this expanded web portal. We are excited about what we can do and are excited to give you the news and views you want.

Thank you for your patience!

Howie Silbiger, Editor, Montreal Jewish News

Yves Bolduc, order the new minister of education for the liberal party of Quebec, purchase has promised to crack down on any illegal or not recognized Chassidic school, find according to a report by the Journal de Montreal.

The story had been instigated by a Radio Canada report focusing on Shiffra and Yohan, two former Chassidim who call themselves “immigrants on the inside” and complain that they never received a secular education. Shiffra and Yohan, who are both from Tosh, are angry at Quebec’s education system. “I’m a survivor,” said Yohan. “Quebec’s politicians are responsible for my ignorance, and I resent them.”

The report goes into an in-depth study of the schooling from every Chassidic sect, noting that it is impossible to calculate the number of illegal Chassidic schools in Quebec.

According to the report, there is no record of a boy’s school in Tosh, and one of their girls schools lost its license last year.  Following an elleged rift in the community, the report claims that a secret school was opened inside the home of a Tosh Chassid in Boisbriand.

The report points to the Satmar community, where Beis Esther lost its license in 2012, and Yeshivas Torah Moshe will be going to court to fight their position that the boys should be exempt from secular studies for religious reasons. It cites a rift in the community, alleging that several hidden Mesivtas (13-year-old and over boy’s schools) exist.

Other communities: In Skver, the boys schools are licenced, though they recently acquired a place to for a Yeshiva. In Belz and Lubavitch, all schools are licensed but inspectors found that there isn’t sufficient time allocated to studying secular subjects.

The report mentions class action lawsuits that are being brought up by ex-Chassidim against the state in New York and Israel, with worries that former Chassidim in Quebec will also file a lawsuit against the government, and closes by stating that 5 schools didn’t comply with the 2012 law but they don’t know which schools, and the 2013 report hasnt yet been released.

Following the Radio Canada report, Bolduc announced plans to withdraw subsidies to Chassidic schools who don’t meet Quebec’s mandatory curriculum. It will also close illegal schools, or schools that aren’t recognized. He called for a meeting with the Ministry of Education, the Directorate of Youth Protection, and the Ministry of Justice.

“The children have a right to these services,” said Bolduc. “What is important is that the students have to have a very good education, and they must acquire the knowledge that is necessary.”

According to the figures provided by the Ministry of Education, the State subsidizes 16 Jewish schools, four Muslim schools, three Armenian schools, and a Greek school this year. All were private schools. Five other private schools were also subsidized.

In the past, the Department of Education threatened to close four private schools with 2,000 Chassidic Jewish children, due to the presence of untrained teachers and the lack of required science and computer labs. Marie Malavoy, the former Education Minister under the Parti Quebecois, had agreed to give them another chance.

Bolduc promised to take action in the coming weeks.

Due to the sensitivity of this article, comments will be closely moderated.

By Zvi Hershcovich – Bill613.com